Welcome to my new initiative – ideas room with a coffee in your hand!
For the past few years, I have found myself restrained by institutional policies which limit a free and safe space for People of Colour to speak of antiracism and inclusivity. In 2022, I have started to work on a few projects, mostly initiated in solo, or with a few collaborators.
- OER flashcards for digital equity https://bit.ly/3s6IUUK
- Celebrating small steps in HE https://bit.ly/3gL7CHM
- Skip your sleep, it is 23:59 https://bit.ly/3zmrvvf
- Safe spaces & reverse mentoring (private project)
I have noticed that over the years the toxic working environment in academia has resulted in good ideas being lost, and the pandemic has just made it worst. I have created the Antiracism & Inclusion Virtual Coffee Ideas Room as an action-learning initiative created that will support idea-to-action projects.
Specifics of the Virtual Coffee Ideas Room
- Strictly on an invite-only basis
- Strictly for people of colour only who regularly discuss/work on antiracism
- 25 or 50 minutes and no longer
- Your favourite non-alcoholic drink/cookie – without a cookie or on the bed, no worries.
- Collaboration is a must (in the long run)
Why discuss antiracism and inclusion ideas over a hot drink and cookie?
- To have a safe space to discuss antiracist and inclusive ideas
- To gain momentum and support to convert the ideas into tangible projects
- To gain input and feedback on projects
- To get collaborators
- To seek a mentor or mentor someone if necessary
- If you have ideas but do not feel you can lead the project, you can get someone to lead the project
- If you need someone to be your voice, rest assured your voice will be heard
- Feel empowered to do projects that matter to you personally
Participating in the virtual coffee ideas room
Participation is diverse too:
- You may already have 1 or 2 cookies ready to be eaten, and will ask for more cookies from others in the future.
- You have no cookie right now, will be happy if others share their cookies for some time.
- You are hungry, thirsty, and just waiting to have food for thought together with everyone.
- Coffee or cookie or anything else, you are just hungry and thirsty, you are a human after all.
One underlying reflection for the ideas room is:
What drives you to take time to have tea/coffee with other people of colour and discuss antiracism and inclusion project ideas?